I have a very special event coming up in February with my husband and, while I prefer to be vague and mysterious about the details of the event for now, what I can tell you is that I need to look HOT! So I'm starting my outfit scouting early because I don't want a repeat of my "wedding guest dress woes" where I was scrambling at the last minute and then ended up not entirely happy with my outfit. Plus, as we all know, ordering clothes online can be a bit of a gamble and sometimes you have to go through a bunch of order- and- return cycles before you find something that fits.Sigh!
I don't necessarily need to look super dressy...just hot.Translation - I need an outfit that fits me perfectly and a tried and true look that I know will look fabulous on me because I want to feel 100% confident in it. It will be an indoor/outdoor event that's sure to involve some winter frigidity at times, so I'm thinking perhaps well fitting jeans, boots and a great coat OR patterned tights, boots, a dress and a coat.
Here are a couple ideas I've come up with:
Look #1 - Fitted jeans, fabulous coat, dressy boots and colorful scarf
J CrewTall Majesty Peacoat , $258
Dark Purple Cashmere & Silk Scarf - Nordstrom, $88
Blue Tory Burch fringe scarf - Nordstrom, $155
Lace up boot - Long Tall Sally, $139
Joe's Jeans Twiggy in Marissa - Tall Couture
- The good thing is, I desperately needed some new jeans so I snatched up the Joe's Twiggys last week when Tall Couture was having a sale and they fit perfectly! Slim, curve-hugging fit with a 36" inseam? Yes please!
- I'm also hankering for some new boots AND I need a new warm, "non-down" coat to wear to nicer events so I'm hoping the J. Crew Majesty Peacoat will do the trick. It claims to be warm in the description....I'm skeptical but will likely order it (since it's currently 30% off) to see for myself.
- I like the Long Tall Sally boots because they look like they could easily be worn over jeans and have a shaft height of 20" in the back and 23" overall! Plus, I'm kinda obsessed with lace up boots at the moment AND they're 20% off right now.
- The bland colors of the outfit were starting to put me to sleep so I added a couple of colorful scarves to spruce it up. It's unlikely I'll take the coat off so I'll just wear a sweater I already own under the coat.
Look #2 - Sexy sweater dress, patterned tights, dressy boots and fitted coat
I'm new to creating Polyvore boards (shout out to Allison Redwood Clothing for introducing me to the website) and the danged thing wouldn't let me pin the Loft dress so I just took a screenshot of my Pinterest for the next outfit idea.
- I'm not sold on the color of the J. Crew tall Majesty peacoat, but this outfit was grossly lacking in zest so that's what I'm going with (for the idea board at least).
- When I think of Naturalizer shoes, I most certainly don't think HOT but these boots don't look Naturalizer-y to me. They have a lace up back, nice 2.5" heel and a shaft circumference of 17" (which means I can stuff my meaty calves AND some jeans or leggings into them no problem). They also go up to a size 12 and have fantastic reviews! The only downside is the shaft height is only 15" so they are definitely NOT going to be knee high on me.
- One of my Black Friday splurges was the black and grey striped tall Loft sweaterdress and it fits like a glove! I have a feeling that I'm quite a bit taller than the model because it's basically a mini on me (barely covers my buns)...
- ...which is why I wear it with leggings or these thick Hue Cable Sweater Tights would probably do the trick too.
I feel like I have a good start since I already have the sweaterdress and jeans. Just need to keep shopping until I get the outfit perfected. Such a tough chore! =) Which look is you favorite?